Sunday, April 5, 2015

Harlequins slip past Huns

Quin Jordan Sheibah drives in for a try against the Huns.
5 April 2015
By Gordon Hanlon, DARC

“Life's not about how hard of a hit you can give... it's about how many you can take, and still keep moving forward.” - Rocky Balboa

The Dallas Harlequins outfought the Huns yesterday, securing a 4 try bonus point win with a 22-15 victory at Glencoe Park. While the Huns conceded four tries, they could only manage five penalty kicks throughout the game.

This result keeps the Quins in 5th place in the Red River Conference standings and closes the gap to the Griffins by only three points as both teams prepare to face off next week in what promises to be a fiercely contested local derby.

In the first half, the Huns dominated territory, possession and consistent law misinterpretation at the rucks by the Quins gave the Huns penalty opportunities. At half-time, the Huns went in leading 9 - 7.

The second half was all about heart. In a game that was physically very demanding and forward-centric, both teams would have to dig deep in order to succeed. The home side’s forwards muscled up at set piece time and around the field, winning numerous scrums as well as setting up a solid platform for their backline to attack.

The Quins got off to a fast start scoring immediately from the kickoff to make the score 12 – 9. Again ill-discipline cost them and the score was quickly 15 – 12 to Huns. The Quins were down to 13 men losing both Conor Mckinnon-Stevenson and Jesse Pitman-Joass to the sin bin in quick succession. The Huns failed to adapt properly to the numerical advantage and truth be told, it looked like the Quins could have been down more players and the Huns would not have been able to unlock the defense.

The game, like Rocky, was won by desire and effort. It was two kick chases which gave the Quins the win. First, after defending their lines for several phases the ball was turned over and Romain Gadeaux launched a huge clearing kick. It was chased by Travis Stubbs and the Huns player panicked and attempted to make a pass to his teammate instead of securing the ball and letting his support help him out. The ball went forward and the Quins got an attacking scrum 5 metres out which they converted into a score.

The Huns again huffed and puffed offering no creativity or ability to create gaps but played solid forward focused rugby. They controlled the ball for several phases but could just not unlock the great defense from the Quins who fed off the energy from the packed sidelines. Eventually the Quins won a penalty, Peter Santos took a quick tap and then put in a quick kick behind the Huns defense. It was fielded poorly by Justin Hale who dropped the ball beyond their goal line giving the Quins the easiest of scores making the score 22 – 15.

It remained this way at the end. Both sides played some solid defense, had very strong packs, and lacked game changers in the centers. These two teams, while being disappointed in how the season has gone so far, have plenty of positives to build on. They may not be winning many games this season they will fight the opposition for every point. The Huns face New Orleans next Sunday, April 12th while the Quins get the Griffins at Glencoe on Saturday, April 11th.
Final Score: Dallas Harlequins 22-15 Austin Huns 

Tries – Gadeaux, Odell, Sheibah, KeaneCon - Pitmann-JoassCards – Pitmann-Joass, Mckinnon-Stevenson

HunsPen – Benyi (5)
Referee: Shawn “Bean” Martin

1 comment:

  1. Never been so happy to be proven wrong in a pick. COME ON YOU QUINS!!!!!